Tuesday, 13 January 2015

Time Bending: Work To Live

A brief update, as I'm totally exhausted, after watching a TEDx video at the weekend my friend and I have decided to undertake a 100 day challenge. But this is no ordinary challenge. In order to succeed we must involve ourselves with at least one completely new experience every single day. It doesn't have to be anything major, so long as it's something that stimulates creativity, but more importantly joy.

Yesterday, for example, I walked to school in reverse while Ned had his hair cut, and the ends highlighted. I couldn't wait to see peoples' reactions at school today. If anything, in my opinion it doesn't look that bad - it almost suits him. Emphasis on the word 'almost.'

Back to my unorthodox method of travelling to school, I quite understandably received a number of strange looks from numerous onlookers, but funnily enough I'm not even bothered! If you knew me well enough, you certainly wouldn't believe it.


It was utterly hilarious to see the metaphorical cogs turning inside their brains, attempting to understand the abnormality of the purpose behind my bizarre technique. The truth be told, there was no purpose, which if anything made the experience all the more enjoyable.

But maybe that is the underlying purpose - to simply inject a shot of fun into everyday life. If so, it's a hidden concept that I hope will continue throughout our time in sixth form and into our later lives. I'm sure that the above will be the first of many such future responses; I just hope they're not stimulated by us doing anything too absurd... Yet.

I'd like to be able to look back on my life and smile at all the new, sometimes crazy, experiences. I also think it would be fair to say this talk in particular has greatly altered my perception of life - for the good - forever, as well as having induced a renewed attitude towards the thrill of adventure.

We intend to document our every activity of the challenge through a combination of photographs, videos and written words, so you may see an update every now and then - especially if we've done something particularly exciting! And then of course I'll treat you to a 'Day 100' post, where I intend to re-live the gleeful intoxication through revisiting my favourite bits of the challenge, sharing them with the entire world.

I'm already beginning to understand the speaker's sentiment, and would definitely recommend you watch the video when you get a spare moment. It's absolutely addictive! Although I've yet to do anything new today so it looks as though I'm going to be sleeping in the bath at this rate!

If you have any suggestions, please feel free to share them with me, either by leaving them in the comments section below or via Twitter, Facebook, etcetera. I've got a few ideas of my own, but I think I'm going to need your help coming up with a few more toned-down, innovative, activities as I'm certainly not going to be able to skydive on a school-day!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...