Wednesday, 14 January 2015

Fulfilling Potential: You Are Not Special

An absolute favourite phrase of my school's previous headteacher was 'fulfilling potential.' This is an idiomatic expression that he tirelessly plastered around the school grounds before he was sacked. Sorry, he left on 'mutual agreement' with the school governors. On a Tuesday.

So anyway, these 'motivational' plaques were accompanied by giant canvasses embodying a number of obedient students who appeared to be unusually enthusiastic towards learning and in a strange trance I believe is meant to represent a young person being deep in thought. I'm honestly very surprised that they've lasted this long without being vandalised. Not a single cock and balls! Apart from their erection in the first place, of course, but that's a given.


I'm so very sorry. I've only just realised what I did there. If you missed it, please don't worry, but if you did then you have my word that there was absolutely no pun intended. I'll have to admit however that it is rather hilarious, even if I do say so myself, so I just went with it!

Back to the original purpose of this post, from a scientific point of view, (gravitational) potential energy is given by the product of an object's mass, height above the ground and the gravitational field strength, or GPE = mgh. Since our values of h = 0 the majority of the time, at school especially, the value for our GPE must therefore also equal zero.

So you can look at this arguably silly thought in one of two ways; either none of us have potential (which I know is a harsh notion to suggest, but take a look at this video) or we all have an equal potential and therefore have an equal chance of doing something incredibly extraordinary. You decide. I know which one I prefer!

P.S.
I forgot to mention in my previous post that there's now a reasonably entertaining video on my Instagram page, involving my backward walk to school, so be sure to check it out! I now also have a very sore back, having spent all of last night sleeping in the bath. Yes, I stayed true to my word!

And today? Well I bought a scratchcard against my better judgement, of course, and was slightly disappointed, slightly annoyed when I so very nearly won £5,000, only to have the overwhelming excitement brutally crushed. Nonetheless, it was still a new experience, but not my first time being mugged off by the National Lottery.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...