Monday, 5 January 2015

Escape Plan

That feeling that follows knowledge of an unexpected day off school. It's absolutely beautiful.

Yesterday evening after a full day of playing guitar, not wanting the Christmas holidays to end, I reluctantly navigated to our school's website in order to confirm that this week's lessons follow the B timetable.

What I found was better than even the best of gifts - "students return on Tuesday 6th January (week B)."

So seeing as I have another day at home and a little time on my hands, I thought I'd write one last post while I can, before returning to that crazy normality. But this one's going to be a little different.


Today I'm going to document exactly what I want from 2015.

I don't believe in making New Year's resolutions, but I figured that there's no better time to move onto a blank page than during the first week of January. Inspired by a film that I would definitely recommend, 2013 American action thriller starring Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger, I've got a plan and I'm going to do my absolute utmost stick to it.

~ Focus on your short term goals and the long term goals will soon materialise ~

This is definitely something I need to keep clear in my mind at all times throughout the duration of this year. Some of you may recognise this mantra, and that's because I've taken it from the wearers of the green beret, the Royal Marines.

Making reference to the television advert, it is a state of mind and I'm determined to get out of bed with it every single day this year. Every single day for the rest of my life, for that matter. I believe it will not only make the challenges of everyday life more manageable but also aid in the fulfilment of all that I have set out to achieve - to be elevated to levels that I didn't know I was capable.

I won't continue to make the mistake of taking on too much, but I will maintain this mindset. And although it would have been a huge step forward whilst I was still swimming for my much-missed previous club, the same applies and is equally relevant to my exercise habits. I've successfully drawn up a routine based on typical RM fitness plans, plus it feels great to have a schedule set in stone.

I think that's an imperative. Training as and when often results in it being repeatedly shrugged off, replaced by something counter-productive that requires minimal effort. You know what I mean; everyone does it, including myself. Admittedly, it's tough, but it's also worth the results in the long run.

So what I'm getting at is that I hope to go above and beyond my previous levels of fitness compared to this time last year, which I understand won't come off immediately, although it would be nice to develop a perfectly chiselled 8 pack overnight! The actual goal is to follow my POA and therefore bring a hint of integral stability to my life. But obviously not too much, because where's the fun in that?

I've already decided that I won't get hung up on actual swimming times, as I know that I can't commit the hours necessary in order to achieve big. Plus it takes months, years even, in order to reach a standard that must be maintained if you ever want to be significantly successful. However that doesn't mean I won't be able to lay down a solid 50 backstroke every now and then. Who knows? Maybe cutting back the hours but training frequently and more consistently will do me good.

If all goes according to plan, there's also the possibility that I'll consider joining the Corps of Royal Marines following at least 3-4 years of higher education, which is inherently dependent on and determined my performance this year. I've been thinking about becoming a military reservist for quite a while, but this mad notion is a fairly recent development.

Alright, it was impulsive, but I kind of like the idea. As I expect would be the case for a number of male siblings, my brother and I are already experts in hand-to-hand combat so that particular area of training shouldn't be a problem. There's no need to worry, it's (mainly) friendly, and I often come off worse anyway. Apart from that time I accidentally knocked Seb out... I'm not doing a very good job of selling it to you, am I? We love each other really, and actually get on pretty well most of the time, believe it or not!

Finally, I'm hoping that the upcoming spring and summer terms will be a little less stressful than the autumn and winter of last year as I caught up on masses of revision over the Christmas period. It will be a little less to do later on, plus I want to be in a good place come exam period as I know first-hand just how beneficial that can be.

Funnily enough, it was only this morning that I drew up a timetable of all my sittings, within which there are three distinctive clusters. Time-wise, I'm now unsure as to whether it's beneficial to study four related subjects or not. Who knows?

I'm optimistic that this will work out to be a good year, but above all I just want to be happy, content, and able to enjoy what little time I have left living at home before embarking upon the greatest adventure of my life.

What are your hopes for the next 12 months? Let me know in the comments below.

Whatever you do, be sure to make 2015 your year. I have absolute faith in you all.

post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...