Thursday, 1 January 2015

2014: The Best Bits

Seeing as it's New Year's Eve, I thought I'd leave you with a light-hearted end to 2014. We've already discovered that I envy Peter Pan, and would require intensive navigation training if I were to ever participate in the DofE award, but what I'd like to do this evening is write a quick recap favoured in balance of my best moments from this year, beginning at the most logical starting point.

But first, I have a wrongdoing to confess to. In my previous post, I forgot to mention the Yorkshires! How on Earth could I possibly commit such a sin?


Anyway, back to my reminiscence of this year, before I digress too far, January through June now seems like a bit of a blur. It was during this period of time that I made a couple of important decisions regarding swimming, and I also learnt a lot about myself in the process.

You may recall the Luxembourg Euro Meet. Well I didn't perform particularly brilliantly, however I did have a pretty good time and the experience gave me plenty to write about, which is always a bonus! If anything, I would go as far to say that the following post was one of my favourite pieces of writing I've produced on this blog so far, but that's just a matter of opinion.

Whilst on the matter of opinions, I think it would be a good time to take the chance to acknowledge all the support I've received in response to what's been written on here. Feedback is absolutely invaluable, and it never ceases to amaze me that people continue to read the rubbish I have to say, post after post. So thank you. An excess of 7200 total pageviews in just over a years - I think that's pretty incredible for a ordinary teenage boy still finding his feet in the world!

So now we move on to my last day of school. How did that happen?! I can still remember sitting my mock SATs in year 6, almost six years before; the strong Scottish accent of my teacher resonating throughout our mobile classroom, giving a warning about the speed at which our next set of exams come around, which we all obviously shrugged off at the time. Oh how she was right!

I actually rather enjoyed study leave, and got a bangin' tan too, so I can't complain one bit! The exams were over before I knew it, and in comparison to what I've already experienced this year the whole ordeal wasn't so stressful after all. I would even go as far to say that I miss continuously orientating the garden chair towards the sun whilst reading from numerous schoolbooks in my boxers, the tunes on full blast and a bowl of natural yoghurt-covered fruit in the other hand.

Then of course there was our prom, results day, and a hell of a long summer holiday, during which I blogged at a far greater frequency than I could have ever imagined. And to top it all off, an awesome camping holiday in beautiful Pembrokeshire. Good times. Despite the relentless Welsh downpour!

Four months as a sixth form student have flown by! It's been a little stressful at times, or rather the majority of the time, but it hasn't been all that bad. I mustn't forget to mention Niall's hilarious drunken dancing, the video of which I'm pretty sure has been circulated around the entire school. Trust me, it's a killer! As is another video I posted on Instagram earlier this evening. Not to mention the 700+ selfies I discovered following the stealing of my phone.


As you can see, Mr Seekings didn't respond with the expected phrase, but Jamie did inform me that our physics teacher 'fell for it like a plane' when Harry and I were in London.

London.

This year alone I've been to the city quite a number of times, but not always intentionally. Either way, I've always returned with a story to tell. The underground incident was one of my favourites. Come to think of it, I've probably visited London a greater number of times than I have the gym. I can't imagine the atmosphere at Victoria Park tonight - it'll be electric!!

From what I've heard, my brother's 1500m freestyle at the regional championships caused a bit of a stir too, especially since his performance earned him a silver medal. I really wish I'd been there to witness it for myself. What's more is that If only his birthday had been a matter of days later, my little brother would have actually qualified for the national championships.

Mallory Knox and The Kooks were awesome, as is evident from my thousands of video uploads. There's not much more to say, as I'm pretty sure I've said it all already, apart from the fact that I now have an Inside In Inside Out songbook. I've gotten pretty proficient at playing the guitar lately, so hopefully I shall be able to jam along to some of my favourites if I continue to progress at the rate at which I am currently.

One of my highlights of the CERN trip came on our flight to Geneva. I genuinely can't remember the last time I laughed that hard. So hard in fact that it brought a tear to my eye. Harry decided to try the toilet paper experiment himself, and filmed it with astonishing results. In addition, the other opportunistic incident involved a Haribo Tangfastic and a defenceless teacher catching flies. I'm not saying any more.

Of all people, I was also the one to get stopped by airport security. Thankfully it was merely due to an oversized deodorant can, and not for an Ebola screening as I had worst feared. That wasn't one of my favourite moments but thanks to our guide, the tour of CMS was. Ah, the little Korean man. The way he said 'Large Hadron Collider' and 'muon' was hysterical. I had to force myself to stifle a giggle.

I've got less than a minute now, so I've got to rush as I definitely can't miss the New Year.

36 seconds.

I hope every single one of you had an enjoyable holiday and wish you all the very best for 2015. Despite everything that has happened in 2014, 1st January marks a new beginning and a new opportunity. Here's to happy, healthy and successful year. Don't stop believing. And remember, gehen Sie geradeaus. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...